Saturday, July 10, 2004

I have been going through my mail archives and I came across this in a mail which I wrote to my classmates.

"'Money is not everything da' according to OP who is perhaps the first millionaire amongst us"

The surprising thing was OP was a fairly worldly person and I found it pretty odd that he should say such a thing. In fact, after a few months he quit his plum job and moved on for further studies... So this set me thinking - is there any truth in what he has said? How serious was he in making such a statement?

After years of experience, I now realize that what he said is true - Money is not everything, we need power, fame and position too :-). I realized the basic tenet is that a human being is never happy in absolute terms; he feels good only when has more in relation to others according to some (however arbitrary) criteria - money, power, grades, knowledge, position, looks....

Hmmm.. wonder if evolution is such a big thing after all.

I have intentionally changed the names(initials) here to protect the privacy of individuals concerned :)

No comments: