Thursday, January 27, 2005

BSNL Broadband

After the recent announcements I eagerly applied online to get a connection. Then I got second thoughts and thought I should followup with customer care or whatever.

I called the customer-help number given on the registration form and here's how it went - I swear this is all true !! This is a traslation to english, but the hindi version would have been better...

Me : Call...
CSR : Yes..? (huh, I was expecting more along the lines of "This is XYZ from BSNL Customer Care, how may I help you?)
Me : Hello ?
CSR : Yes ..?
Me : Is this BSNL customer care?
CSR : Yes.
Me : I want to get a BSNL Broadband connection, how do I go about it ?
CSR : Where are you speaking from?
Me : Hi-tech city.
CSR : Where?
Me : (Realising that she was asking for the city) Hyderabad
CSR : Oh, Hyderabad? But it has already started there.
Me : Yes, but how do I go about getting a connection?
CSR : What's your name ?
Me : Kalyan Chakravarthy
CSR : Oh, you are a Bengali !!
Me : No, I am not. I am a local.
CSR : Really(starts laughing)? I thought only bengali's had such names.
Me : No madam, we also have such names.
CSR : Really, I did not know that !
Me : Ok, how do can I get a connection.
CSR : Oh, you have to find that out from a local office.
Me : Huh.. Ok, if I apply, how long will it take to get a connection?
CSR : Oh, it will happen very quickly. (Hmm.. this sounds suspicious)
Me : How quickly?
CSR : Very quickly ! ( God !!)
Me : Will I get a connection in one week ?
CSR : Hmm.. we can't really say. It is possible, but it will happen quickly.
Me : Will I get it in 2 weeks?
CSR : Hmm.. we cant really say. I give up at this stage
Me : Ok, thank you. I will call the local office and find out.
CSR : Its all right. (No thank you for calling BSNL stuff etc. :) )

So, I found the phone no. of the local office and called again and here goes..

CSR : Yes.. ??
Me : I want to get a BSNL Broadband connection, how do I go about it ?
CSR : You have to come and fill up a form.
Me : Can I apply online?
CSR : Hmm... you can apply but if you apply online, we have to download the form no ? (oh oh)
Me : How long will it take?
CSR : Oh, we are not giving any dates as of now (Huh!!)
Me : Ok, can I submit the form in hi-tech office.
CSR : Oh, you can ! If they take it. (!!!!)


I give up at this stage. I really dont think they will get around to giving connections anytime soon - they are just not ready and dont seem to have the competence to do it. It looks like a date driven publicity stunt.

This is sad since all the other cable "broadband providers" here suck big time as well.

2 comments:

Jude said...

That was very funny :-)
I might have to deal with BSNL if i change my home... hope it isnt too bad

Kalyan said...

The connection is pretty good. It is just the getting part which is a pain :)