Wednesday, September 21, 2005

what platform?

Everytime I tell someone non-techy that I have a software job, the inevitable question I get out here is:
"What Platform do you work on?"
After the first time, I knew that they expect an answer like java, dotnet, oracle, sap or some such thing. If you answer with stuff like "we are building a framework for blah", "we build software for controlling fusion reactors", "we are decoding the gene sequence using some advanced algorithms" etc, all you will get is a condescending look :).

3 comments:

RK said...

I thought I was the only who found that question very amusing.

Anonymous said...

It was back in 2001, when I was working in Bangalore. I had been to my home on a weekend and they had called some guy to clean the water tank or something. I think, for some Rs. 10 or 20. Should be educated upto 10th, max.

That guy asked me the very same question.
"Java", I replied, specifically avoiding saying anything else.
"Java has no value these days" he said looking at me with pity.
He totally sounded like his job was much better than mine.
An unasked-for advice to improve my career prospects followed - "Why don't you try taking a course on C/UNIX?"
-MN

Kalyan said...

:)). MN, you should start blogging all your hilarious experiences...